Friday, November 6, 2009

But then again I could be wrong

Author: Jim Rising
Genre: Humour/Comedy
Pages: 228
Publisher: Tribute Books
My Rating: 3.0/5


I received this book last month as a review copy from Tribute Books (http://www.tribute-books.com/ ). Thanks to Nicole for sending across this copy to me!

Jim Rising, the author, is the program director of 102.3 The Mountain WDMT and hosts a weekly show called "Rising at Ten". This book is a collection of some of these shows from the past few years.

As the title suggests, this book is nothing but full of rants. It's not really stand-up comedy, so don't expect to have a hearty laugh. But it's quite funny and a good source of entertainment. It's a collection of Jim's personal experiences and mundane activities and other random life situations which are presented in a humorous way..The nice part of the book is that Jim talks about those small things in life which we usually think about...He has a very unique take on life and it makes you wonder if he is reading into your thoughts!


Each of the rants is just about 2 pages long and that makes it an easy read. Some of them are extremely hilarious while a few others have some inspiring & thoughtful messages. However, I did find a few of them quite boring and bland which I just skipped through. Jim's style is quite different, so it takes a bit of getting used to, in order to understand his sense of humor. 10-20 snippets down the line, I got a hang of it and enjoyed reading it...

I feel that an audio version of this book would be a better choice, something that you can listen to while driving or doing some mindless tasks ...for those times when you don't want to stretch your mind a lot...

4 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Thank you Pratima for reviewing Jim's book.

Anonymous said...

Seems like something to read on a day when ur feeling down . Nice review

Unknown said...

@Tribute Books - Thanks for sending me a copy! :)

@shona - Definitely! I feel an audio book wud be even better, coz I feel some part of the humor gets lost when these radio shows are put into writing...

Veens said...

Well sounds like an easy read to me. Though I am not sure if I am in a mood for rants ;)