Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bookish Quote of the Week: #2

Now, I am not a big fan of classics rather I've never read any classics so far (other than Lolita, if it can be classified under that category). I came across this quote on classics and it really intrigued me...

"When you read a classic you do not see in the book more than you did before. You see more in you than there was before."
--Clifton Fadiman


If you are a classics reader, do you think this quote above makes sense? I'd love to hear your views!


I've tried picking up classics like Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations etc but I haven't been able to go beyond 1 or 2 chapters. I really want to experiment reading few books in this genre but I have no idea what is a good one to start with, which can hold my interest and get me hooked to it...


So all you classics fans out there, if you have any suggestions on what is a good book to start off with, please drop in your suggestions!!! I am looking for something simple yet interesting..

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would suggest you start off mild, may be with Jane Austen and once you get in to that era ,start reading

Wuthering Heights
Three musketeers
Black Beauty
David Copperfield
Vanity Fair

About the quote, I agree though not completely.Classics go deep in to the qualities of characters,their emotions joys ad sorrows.Its a more vivid account than what recent literature tends to give.We start identifying with these characters.Laugh and cry with them .So in a weird sort of way they do influence u.

I am really not sure if Lolita classifies as a Classics ;)That was one book I have absolutely loathed (I am not sure if anyone feels the same ,but nevertheless my views)

Unknown said...

@Shona - thanx for the list, i'll try picking up one of them soon!:)

btw, Lolita is classified under "classics"..i completely disliked that book too!

Monique said...

I don't think Lolita is the right book to start with if you are reading a classic.

I haven't read any of the ones that Shona suggested. But I think a good place to start would be with some of the shorter ones. Or ones that are usually required high school reading. I just read The Age of Innocence but it is rather long. Also To Kill a Mockingbird is consider a classic and it is a really good book.