Monday, May 4, 2009

Angels and Demons

Author: Dan Brown
Pages: 610
Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Fiction
Rating: 4.0/5
Challenges: Orbis Terrarum Challenge 2009, Country: USA

I am not very keen on reading books in the Mystery/Thriller categories but after reading The DaVinci Code, I was very keen on picking up another book by Dan Brown. A lot of people recommended 'Angels and Demons' and so I picked this up as part of the OT 2009 challenge. The movie based on this book is releasing sometime soon in the month of May, starring Tom Hanks and I am eagerly waiting to watch this one!

I was a bit let down by this book as compared to The Da Vinci Code coz it seemed more like watching a highly dramatic bollywood movie. But hey! it's supposed to be a Thriller, so I can discount this fact and say that I thoroughly enjoyed the book which always kept me on the edge of my seat with its share of surprises and a never expected nail biting finish. I dont mind suspending my disbelief if the story is well written and it can keep me hooked till the last line of the last page!

I truly admire the way Dan Brown creates his plot...there's always something more beyond what the reader is expecting! Mystery is definitely his territory! Not to forget the attention to details and the vast amount of research that goes behind writing his book. The factual details make the story all the more interesting, coz you know you are not reading something completely fictional. The monuments, paintings, places etc described in the book and the history behind it are all hard facts...I was truly fascinated by the secrets of the Vatican and the Illuminati and the parts played by Galileo and Bernini. It takes guts to write a novel that combines the ancient secret brotherhood, a plot against the Vatican, it's deep secrets, the Pope, the papal conclave and the particles of antimatter...Kudos to Dan Brown for doing a great job with the plot!

Plot Summary: (from the web)

Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is shocked to find proof that the legendary secret society, the Illuminati--dedicated since the time of Galileo to promoting the interests of science and condemning the blind faith of Catholicism--is alive, well, and murderously active. Brilliant physicist Leonardo Vetra has been murdered, his eyes plucked out, and the society's ancient symbol branded upon his chest. His final discovery, antimatter, the most powerful and dangerous energy source known to man, has disappeared--only to be hidden somewhere beneath Vatican City on the eve of the election of a new pope. Langdon and Vittoria, Vetra's daughter and colleague, embark on a frantic hunt through the streets, churches, and catacombs of Rome, following a 400-year-old trail to the lair of the Illuminati, to prevent the incineration of civilization.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your review from the OT site. :)
I am really looking forward to reading this one. I enjoyed The DaVinci Code very much.

Anna said...

I have this one but haven't read it yet. I read and enjoyed The DaVinci Code. Thanks for the review!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Unknown said...

If you've enjoyed Da Vinci Code then you'll surely enjoy this one as well! It's a prequel to Da Vinci Code...

Unknown said...

I too recently finished Angels and demons. It kept me intrigued throughout..Wasn't too satisfied with the climax but nonetheless liked it. Wanted to write about it but you have kinda summed up my views on the book..Have u read Digital Fortress?

Unknown said...

@Shona - Even I didnt like the climax much, it was catchy but over-dramatic!
I havent read Digital Fortress but I've heard it is better than this one..Need to pick it up sometime!